Finding the perfect outfit or dress for an event can be stressful. It all depends on the occasion, the weather, what everyone else wearing (which shouldn’t matter, but let’s face it… it does), and just how you feel that day.
What makes things event harder, is if you are traveling to an event. I will be the first one to admit that I will 100% overpack. I like to have options because the one thing you can plan on, is that your plan is going to fail. So, you have to be prepared. And I think it was Rachel Zoe who always said, you can never have enough options.
Finding that perfect dress for an event, whether it is a ball gown or a BBQ, always seems like a struggle. I personally always feel like I have to buy something new. If you are this type of person, stop what you are doing and go through your dresses first. I know, I know, wearing the same dress to an event and having the same photos seems like a fashion don’t. But I promise that this group of family or friends probably hasn’t seen it, and it is all in your head. I hate that we discard so many cute dresses and looks because of this. I recently cleaned out my closet and had the realization that you can wear the same thing twice, even five times! Because when something is classic and cute, you have to keep it and wear it until it falls apart.
Back to finding the perfect dress. The second thing that happens to me after I realize I DO need the dress (I don’t), I go out shopping for that perfect little number that is going to set me apart from everyone and make me feel like Beyonce. But what ends up happening?!
I find nothing. Absolutely, nothing…
*Panic sets in*
Ugh, the struggle of waiting until the last minute. Luckily for you, I rounded up a few tips to help with this and finding the perfect dress for your next event. And remember that you probably have amazing clothing that you can recycle sitting in your closet and I promise, no one will know you already wore it.
Here are a few tips to help:
- Get out a calendar and take a look at all the events you have coming up, think about each event and what you want to wear. Is is casual? dressy? What color are you into these days? This will give you plenty of planning time, so you are not rushed to find something and will feel confident when getting ready or packing.
- Once you lay this all out, go through your closet and start putting all you dresses into a section. These are your “contenders”.
- Evaluate these and try to picture your self at each event in the dress you selected. How do you feel? Does it still fit? Does it need to be dry cleaned?
- If you really feel like you don’t have something for this occasion after arranging and trying everything on, you can:
- Go out shopping and find a dress! Keep it simple and classic. Something that you can wear to anything/multiple event. I love maxi dresses because they are perfect for a shower, wedding or just a casual lunch/BBQ.
- Or you can borrow from a friend! If you have people like me in their life, who only wear things once or twice, I bet they have some amazing “new” options that you can give back after the event! Just make sure you thank them and dry clean after.
Whatever you decide, just make sure you feel confident and amazing.
Shop this look here:
Photography by Buffett Photography